Sunday 10 November 2013

REVIEW | RealTechniques Brushes by Samantha Chapman


 ** iherb.com : Use code BNC512 for up to $10 OFF **

CORE COLLECTION (iherb) $17.99 | (rrp) $45

What RealTechniques says:
Create a perfect canvas with this collection of coverage essentials.
Includes 4 full-size brushes + case:
- detailer brush: precision cut to effortlessly conceal problem areas; or, use with lipstick for long-lasting shape and definition
- pointed foundation brush: Use with liquid foundation to build custom coverage
- buffing brush: ideal for full coverage application of powder and mineral foundation
- contour brush: delicately applies highlighter to contour or create sheer, soft-focus finish


What I say:
- The detailer brush is great for diffusing aka blending out concealer around a blemish. Can also be use a lip brush as it has a nice pointed tip and stiff bristles.
- The pointed foundation brush isn't so much pointed as round and has a good stiffness in the bristles. It is too small as a foundation brush for me so I use it as a concealer brush for under the eyes and around the nose.
- I love the buffing brush for all different types of foundation; liquid, powder and cream but my personal preference is liquid. (Although the buffing brush works great with powder and cream foundations as well, I personally prefer a flat top kabuki e.g. F80)
- The contour is brush is amazing for .. contouring! The size and domed shape is perfect for getting in the point under your cheekbones and blending the colour downwards. It's amazingly soft and blends the contour colour effortlessly to create a natural appearance.


STARTER KIT (iherb) $17.99 | (rrp) $39.95

What RealTechniques says:
Eye definition goes high-definition with this essential set.
Includes 5 full-size brushes + case:
- base shadow brush: applies a smooth, flawless foundation of color
- deluxe crease brush: soft, oversized design for effortless contouring
- accent brush: designed for precision detailing, spotlighting, highlighting, and smudging
- pixel-point eyeliner brush: tapered cut is ideal for dense or fine eyeliner application
- brow brush: distinctive shape easily defines eyebrows

What I say:
- I use the base shadow brush as a crease brush because it's flat and tapered which is the perfect shape for getting into the crease and blending out the colour. I personally prefer flat eyeshadow brushes to pack colour onto my lids.
- The deluxe crease brush is a fairly dense, round, domed brush with super soft bristles (similar to the P82, if you're familiar with Sigma brushes) It's too big for my crease so I use it to blend out concealer under my eyes and sometimes around my nose.
- The accent brush is great for applying and blending out colour on the lower lash line. It is so tiny and precise, it'll make sure you get the colour to exactly where you want it and nowhere you don't. It's also great to applying a bright colour in the inner corners.
- I'm not really a big fan of the pixel-point eyeliner brush as I feel like the bristles don't come together enough to create a clean line. I much prefer an angled eyeliner brush or the brushes which come with the Maybelline gel lines which is exactly the same shape as the accent brush but half the size.
- The brow brush is very unique as it's angled with an oval shape to easily shape the brows.


FOUNDATION BRUSH (iherb) $7.99 | (rrp) $19.95

What RealTechniques says:
The angled cut lets you build the coverage you need for airbrushed, high-definition results.

What I say:
I personally don't use flat foundation brushes so I use this as a highlighter brush. The angle works great for apply highlighting products onto the cheekbones, under the brow bone and down the bridge of the nose. Best for cream products but also works with powder.

EXPERT FACE BRUSH (iherb) $8.99 | (rrp) $19.95

What RealTechniques says:
Ultra firm and broad for application and blending of cream or liquid foundation.

What I say:
This brush is just a great all rounder brush for the face and can be used for cream and liquid foundation, blush, bronzer and highlighter. As I do not have a blush brush with me I have been using this as primarily a blush brush for even my powder blushes.  I apply blush to the cheeks and then use a sweeping motion to blend it upwards towards my hairline. Because the brush is quite dense, the colour applied will be highly pigmented so don't use too much product! The domed shape and denseness is also great for high coverage foundation and getting into all areas of the face (which is why I want a backup of this brush!)

STIPPLING BRUSH (iherb) $9.99 | (rrp) $22.95

What RealTechniques says:
This dual-fiber brush is the trade secret for creating airbrushed, high-definition results with all types of makeup.

What I say:
The dual-fiber brush is great for creating a natural finish with your liquid and cream foundation. I used to love using duo-fiber brushes for foundation until I found the Sigma F80 but this brush has made me fall in love with them all over again. The brush is also great for creating a really light and youthful finish with your cream blushes (be sure to dip lightly in the pan as not too get too much product!). The size is just perfect for my face but you may find it too big/small depending on your preferences. I would say the size is in between a MAC 187 and 188 and smaller than the Sigma F50.



And...
- panoramic brush case is a 2-in-1 case + stand
- look pixel-perfect even in harsh light
- ultra-plush, synthetic taklon bristles are hand-cut and 100% cruelty-free
- self-standing for easy storage
- extended aluminum handles are light and easy to use

I say:
- The brush case is super convenient for travelling but not very suitable as a stand/brush holder (e.g. on your makeup table) as the elastic holds the brush in quite tightly so you need two hands to pick up the brush - one to hold the stand down.
- While it is handy that the larger brushes are self-standing, I would never really leave them standing along on my table.
- The aluminium handles are light, yet feel very sturdy. The detail/eye brushes are shorter than the Sigma ones, which makes sense as you are working with a closer distance however the face brushes are the same length.
- The brushes in the kits are not available for purchase individually and vice versa.

Availability_
iherb.com | Use code BNC512 for up to $10 OFF
- Priceline

Rating: 5/5
Repurchase: Yes! I need backups (:

What's on my face?
Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector Daily All-in-one BB Cream
L'Oreal Infallible Never Fail Powder
NYX Eyeshadow Base - White
MUA Eyeshadow Palette - Heaven & Earth
Rimmel ScandalEyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal Eyeliner
L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black Mascara
Max Factor False Lash Effect Waterproof Black Mascara
Daiso LongBlackFiber Smudge-proof Black Mascara
Revlon PhotoReady Bronzer - 100 Bronzed & Chic
L.A. Colors Dual Blush - Blushing
L.A. Colors Auto Lipliner - Mauve
NYX Round Lipgloss - Real Nude

peachsbeauty.blogspot.com 
instagram | @peachsbeauty 
twitter | @peachsbeauty 
email | peachsbeautyfamily@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. WOW! I can't believe how affordable these brushes are, and they look fantastic!

    Not that I need anymore brushes, but I am so tempted right now. I've seen the brand name Real Techniques dropped a bit on some beauty blogs but didn't think it was available in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I didn't think I needed anymore brushes but these are so amazing!

      I know some people prefer to purchase in stores where they can see it and buy it on the spot (Priceline) but for more than double the price.. that's a bit excessive.

      x

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your feedback :)